Worship with us every Sunday at 11.00
St Marks is a growing church with a big heart. We enjoy traditional as well as less formal family and all age services, seasonal worship and a wide range of social and fundraising events, involving the local community. We have a resident music group which helps to lead the family services. We welcome children to all our services and provide a children’s corner with books and toys.
We welcome children to all services and provide a children’s corner in the church with books and toys.
We have connections with local groups and schools and care about the community of Longwood and beyond.
The parish is a supporter of the Children’s Society with a collection at the Christingle service and through the Home Collection boxes scheme, CART (Christian African Relief Trust) a local and national charity and the Welcome Centre In Huddersfield. In addition to other nominated charities.
St Marks has supported the Diocesan link with Mara in Tanzania and has a parish link there. Money raised through various means has been sent to the parish to assist in the building of their church.
Father Simon is supported by a number of people some of whom serve on St Marks PCC. There are rotas for intercessions, readings and sidespersons.
We are a congregation seeking to grow. Everyone is welcome wherever you may be on your spiritual journey.
Family Services with Holy Communion and with the Music Group take place at 11 am on the second Sunday of the month
On other Sundays in the month there is Sung Eucharist at 11 am with hymns traditional and modern
St Marks Church will also be open on Mondays and Wednesdays at 9 am for morning prayer in church.There is a Tuesday evening Holy Communion service at St Marks at 6.00 pm for anyone who wishes to attend
Family services take place every second Sunday in the month at 11 am. This is a more informal service led by Father Simon and accompanied by St Marks music group.
On Sundays at 11 am there is a sung Eucharistic Service with hymns traditional and modern
St Marks Church will also be open on Mondays and Wednesdays at 9 am for morning prayer in church.There is Tuesday Holy Communion service at St Marks at 6.00 pm for anyone who wishes to attend.
St Mark’s Players is an amateur dramatic group formed in 1988 by a church member for the benefit of the community and to involve the local children giving them something to do on cold dark winter evenings and to instil a sense of family and team spirit. St Marks Players have gone from strength to strength providing annual entertainment in the form of Pantomimes, Music and Comedy Shows for the local community. Generations have trodden the boards with families being involved.
St Marks Players has now evolved into a very competent band of adult entertainers and annual shows are received enthusiastically by the local communit. In the summer of 2024 St Marks Players will begin rehearsing a comedy/music show title TBC. We desperately need people to help back stage. If you would like to do this please contact Janet Watson on 07845025864
Sadly the children’s group of Players has now been disbanded as presently there is noone to lead it. Hopefully this may change in the future.
If you would like any further information please contact St Marks Church enquiries
The Bell ringing group practise every Thursday and ring on a Sunday morning before the 10.30 am service. The group is now 8 strong and very accomplished . It is regarded as a Centre of Excellence and therefore the group actively encourages new members to join and tuition is given. There is a training room in the Bell Tower with a dumb bell where new ringers can learn the skill. There is also a set of handbells which are used for practice and demonstrations.
For more information on joining the group or training please contact Chris Jones.
There has been a Mothers’ Union at St Marks Church for over one hundred years. The Mothers’ Union group meet the second Monday of the month at 2.00 pm normally in the Parish and Community Centre but the venue does change from time to time depending on the nature of the meeting. The meetings vary from prayers to outings.
For more details please contact St Marks Church by email.
The Social and Fundraisers Group currently meets on a monthly basis to decide on and arrange various activities for the benefit of the church and the wider community.
We have a friendly, talented group at St Marks and our home made cakes are second to none!
Fundraisers in the past have included monthly Coffee Mornings, annual musical concerts with anything from Songs of Faith and Inspiration to popular and show songs, Pantomimes, Murder Mystery evenings, Ladies Pampering and Retail Therapy evenings, Spring and Christmas Flower Arranging evenings and Food Tasting evenings.
We have a resident music group that sings at church once as month and other groups which have sprung from this. Including the Memory Lane singers who provide entertainment at the annual Afternoon Tea Party and are also available for private functions.
Our Autumn Fayre boasted a number of interesting stalls where early Christmas presents could be purchased as well as home made cakes and desserts. Morning coffee and bacon butties were served and a particularly good steak and potato pie and peas together with vegetarian options for lunch.
Fundraisers take place in St Marks Church and in the Parish and Community Centre
Enquirers course Saturday 16th March starting at 9.30 am for 10 am. See poster.
The Annual RSPCA Pet Service will take place at 3 pm on Sunday 17th March.
APCM to take place after the service on Sunday 21st April
Sunday 19th May Pentecost.
St Marks Church is holding an Enquirers Course on Saturday 16th March. Please see Poster below and come along to the Parish Centre on Thornhill Road Longwood, where you will find a warm welcome (and cake!)
Welcome to our monthly magazine Outlook including a letter from Father Simon
Please click the link below to open the magazine
Father Simon will lead a pilgrimage to Ripon Cathedral on Saturday 2nd March 2024. Please contact Father Simon for further details
St Marks Parish and Community Centre is about 400 metres from the church. It is a large building which has undergone refurbishment over the years to provide a new kitchen, disabled toilet facilities and a well lit hall with space to dance and socialise
St Marks Parish and Community Centre is occupied during the working week by Longwood Day Care for children contact Leonie at …. to secure a place of for further details.
We currently have a group of Brownies who use the hall on a Tuesday evening (https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/information-for-parents/register-a-child/)
Parkwood Methodists worship in the hall on a Sunday. The hall is also used by St Marks Players for some rehearsals and meetings and by the Longwood Sing group after the Sing on the Second Sunday in September.
The centre also has a smaller meeting room which is bright clean and carpeted. Downstairs has a separate entrance and is fully occupied by Parkwood Uniformed Organisation.(contact details)
St Marks Church uses the hall for fundraisers including the Christmas Fayre, Coffee Mornings and Tea Parties.as well as Lent Lunches.
There is limited parking at the parish centre site. It is however situated on the main bus route through Longwood with a bus stop outside (for timetable details visit https://www.firstbus.co.uk/api/timetables/pdf?opco=11&service=356&day=mf&print=pdf
St Mark’s Church has a fascinating history spanning back over 200 years. Discover the secrets within our walls by reading more below …
A chapel has existed in Longwood from 1749. All that remains of it now is a pillar located in the graveyard on which the names of vicars are inscribed.
The existing Church was built by public subscription and designed by William Cocking architect of JW Cocking and Sons in the late 19th century to replace an existing Chapel of Ease. It was consecrated on 15th November 1877 by Bishop Bickersteth of Ripon.
The bell tower was added in 1914 in memory of the Crowther family.A drawing of the tower by JW Cocking and Frank Abbey is dated 1913, but the tower as built is of a different design, possibly by the same architects. A new peal of bells which included the original Sanctus Bell, dated 1750, from the Chapel of Ease, was dedicated by Bishop Frodsham, the Vicar of Halifax on 22nd September 1923. In 1926 a carved oak Chancel Screen was donated by the Livesey Family and a Carved Oak pulpit was donated by Canon Roberts and friends.
In the mid-1930s, the Crowther Family replaced the existing pine pews with oak ones. Oak choir stalls were donated by the Hirst Family. A new parquet floor and heating system were also installed. In 1959 a Lady Chapel was created and furnished following a bequest by Isobel Shires and a Votive Light was given in memory of James Goodall. The choir vestry was also refurbished.
St Mark’s has 13 excellent stained glass windows, dating from early to mid-20th.century. There is a window dedicated to Mary Sumner, Founder of the Mothers’ Union, which is the only one in the country. The West window is a memorial to the First World War. David Sargent has written an article after doing some research on the windows. Please see his extremely interesting article below.*
In 1990, the old Organ was scrapped and replaced in 1991 by a redundant organ from Tyneside which was dismantled and rebuilt by Woods of Huddersfield in the North Aisle of the Church. A new clergy vestry was created from the old organ loft. A portable nave altar was also created from redundant pews.
Since 2001, a new gas central heating system has been installed and the Lady Chapel roof retiled. A sound system has been installed and disabled access and toilet provided. We hope to continue to develop and preserve this beautiful and historic building
* Are these Windows Unique? by David Sargent
St Marks Church contains plenty of beautiful stained glass dating from Victorian times up to the 1950s. The newest windows in the church are also the most remarkable because their subject matter is unusual. They face each other across the church in the second bays from the west end of the nave.
The window on the south side shows Mary Sumner founder of the Mothers’ Union and Vedanayakam Samuel Azariah, who was the first Indian to become an Anglican bishop. A note in the Order of Service for the dedication of the window (by the Bishop of Wakefield on Sunday 2nd May 1954) explains the choice of subject: “Katherine Jean Broadbent dedicated her life largely to two great interests; the work of the Mothers’ Union and the overseas missionary work of the Church. She was herself a devoted wife and mother and she had a personal share in Christian work in India and Burma before coming to live in Longwood The window therefore has two lights, one representing Mary Sumner , the founder of the Mothers’ Union and the other Bishop Azariah, the first Indian Bishop; thus reminding us of her keen support for the work of the Kingdom in which each of these was outstanding”
There are at least two other windows showing Bishop Azariah. One is in the USPG chapel in London and the other is in the narthex of the Church of Epiphany, Winchester , Massachusetts
For a long time, St Marks’ Mothers Union believed that this was the only window depicting Mary Sumner in stained glass. However, it turns out that she also appears in a window at All Saints Church, Eltham, New Zealand. Are these the only two windows in the world to show Mary Sumner, or are there more? Is the window at St Mark’s unique in England, if not the world?
The window in the north aisle shows St Hilda, a Northumbrian princess who became the Abbess of Whitby and hosted the synod where King Oswy opted for the Roman method of calculating Easter. Depictions of St Hilda are quite common, but the other half of the window might be unique. It shows Richard Oastler a local hero who campaigned to improve working conditions in factories,especially for children, As far as we can tell this is the only stained glass window anywhere that shows Oastler or for that matter a panoramic view of Longwood.
Do you know of any other stained glass windows showing Mary Sumner, Vedanayakam Samuel Azariah or Richard Oastler? If so please let us know!
Safeguarding is of the highest priority to our church.
St Mark’s Church
St Mark’s Road
Priest in charge: Rev Simon Crook
St Johns Church
Huddersfield HD7 4PX
Mobile number: 07742177610
General enquiries please contact
4 College Street East
or Janet Watson on 07845 025864
Please click here for general enquiries.
Philip Turner (Treasurer)
Janet Watson (Secretary)
Rowena Chantler (Deanery Synod Representative)
Chris Jones (Bell ringing team)
Shahida Butterworth, Rev Jan Sargent
Robert Iredale, David Sargent, Mark Bray
Deanery and Synod meetings
These are attended by Rowena Chantler on behalf of St Mark’s Church. The meetings are used to dicuss matters concerning the deanery and those debated at the Diocesan Synod.